Use your money for good – options for ethical investing
The Highgate Society must stress that neither it, nor its Sustainable Living group, give any financial advice whatsover. The material and links given are a selection to enable people to investigate ethical investing further on their own responsibility.
What happens to your money? It may be being used for fossil fuels, tobacco, weapons. But could be used for Wind, Tide and Sun.
Click here for graphics depicting undesirable v ethical investments.
A packed audience came along to the Highgate Society on Wednesday 21st March 2018 to find out about sustainable banking and ethical investing.
The Sustainable Living group was delighted to welcome speakers from the leading sustainable bank, Triodos and from positive investing company Ethex. There was also a speaker from Friends of the Earth who talked about the Divestment movement – how to reduce your holdings of unethical companies from your pension and other funds. Talks from the speakers was followed by a panel discussion and Q & A.
Material from Use Your Money for Good evening
Useful Links for Ethical Investing
Your Ethical Money
“An independent one-stop resource on ethical money”
Ethical Consumer – Banks and Savings Accounts
– has a score table with “Ethical ratings for brands and products, updated live from our research database.”
Good with Money
“..helping you become good with money while doing good with money too…” includes an annual report on IFISAs (Innovative Finance ISAs)
– 3D Investing seeks to maximise positive impact, minimise ethical controversy and meet financial expectations.
Ethical Investment Association (EIA)
– has a ‘Find an Ethical Financial Advisor’ map.
fscs Ethical Pensions
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme (fscs) has information here about pension protection and ethical pensions.
Innovative Finance ISAs
– explains how the IFISA “allows savers using Peer-to-Peer (P2P) lending platforms to receive tax-free interest.”
Friends of Earth and UKYCC have a 38deg petition BIG BUSINESS SAVE OUR CLIMATE
Go Fossil Free
– has an interactive map to show how much each council pension fund holds in fossil fuel investments.
– has many resources to help investors challenge their pension fund and investment managers.
Mutual Building Societies
List of Mutual Building Societies from Positive Money (note 2011 blog)