Haringey waste strategy consultation
Haringey Council is consulting residents and businesses on its waste strategy. We encourage Haringey residents and businesses to participate, which you can do by clicking here. The deadline is 22 January 2023.
The views of the Highgate Society are that Haringey should:
- Develop a strategy for a future without incineration, based on as much recycling as possible, especially extracting recyclables from black bags, as well as identifying and addressing barriers to recycling and reuse
- Adopt best practice collection as per trials ReLondon/Peabody’s Making Recycling work for people in flats
- Commit to the London Environment Strategy target for 65% recycling of household, business and commercial waste by 2030 as a minimum
- Make garden waste collection free to reduce unnecessary incineration
- Make sure collections are on time and not missed
- Improve the communication on what can be recycled.
- Ensure that everyone has access to a food waste bin
- Providing a separate bag or bin for all plastics, including plastic film to address the confusion on what can and cannot be recycled
- Provide a scheme for household clothing collections (reduce contamination of recycling with these)
- Support local community composting scheme – to address the loss of compost since the Eco Park works.
- All refuse trucks to be electric. As per Islington or converted as per City of London
- Bulky collections to be from premises, rather than kerbside (health and safety issues for most residents)
15 December 2022